Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fortitude. . .

I woke up this morning feeling that lady luck would grace me with her presence. So I prayed for patience and handled each challenge with fortitude and grace because I knew that good things are rendered to those who endure adversity with courage.

Although I seethed inside, I did not drive my car over or into the man in front of me driving 50 miles an hour on a busy highway. Instead, I smiled and rode his bumper. Nor did I cop an attitude when a colleague politely stole the parking space that I was so patiently waiting to pull into. I simply put my middle finger up and found an alternate spot.

Subsequently, the thirty-minute meeting that turned into a working lunch didn’t irritate me one bit. It only made me appreciate my management team and the useless information they were trying to disseminate. After all, my time was negligible and I needed to lose a couple of pounds any way. So, I smiled graciously and drank a cup of water.

From what I could see, lady luck was truly on my side! I breezed through two interviews for a great promotional opportunity only to find another hoop to jump through and an additional river to swim. But, I didn’t frown or swear, I simply sighed and handled the frustration I felt with fortitude and grace because I knew that good things come to those who wait patiently. So, I agreed to wait another week to receive my blessing.

By the end of the day, I had received a generous speeding ticket from one of the locals in blue, nearly avoided a fist fight with a nasty old lady who tried to run me down in the produce department, and visited with a neighbor for two hours until my husband could get home from work to unlock our house door.

Wow! Lady luck had truly graced me with her presence. Any more luck, and I might have been captured by an alien or died from a foreign object hitting me upside my head. But in spite of everything, I thank God for fortitude, the strength of mind that allows one to endure pain or adversity with courage because without it, I don’t think I would have survived the day.


Hopefully, lady luck will give me a break tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment